The Potato Famine of 1845 to 1848
Remembered on The Customs House Quays
The walk from The Anchor Guesthouse Bed & Breakfast to The Convention Centre & The O2 Point Depot is short. There is no need to cross the Liffey. The walk along The Customs House Quay is refreshing and interesting, at any time of the day. Among the sites on this walk are the very graphic & sad statues which represent the starving, & dying population of Ireland, as they try to reach Dublin Port on foot, to escape from Ireland, and avoid certain death in Ireland by starvation. The gaunt statues represent the starving & dying population of this terrible time of The Potato Famine, which lasted from 1845 – 1848. The work is entitled “Famine”. It was presented to the People of Ireland by Norma Smurfit on 29th May 1997.
A little further along The Customs House Quay is the present berth of The Jeanie Johnston, a replica of the type of ship that was in service in the 1850′s to carry these poor unfortunate starving people to a new chance at life in America, & in Canada.
Text written on the “Famine Monument” is sourced from “The Irish Quarterly Review” & is dated from 1854. It reads as follows: “A procession fraught with most striking and most melancholy interest, wending its painful and mournful way along the whole line of the river to where the beautiful pile of the Custom house is distinguishable in the far distance……..”
The memorial remembers both the victims of the Irish Potato Famine, and especially mentions their descendants who are noted on the monument as having worked so hard overseas, across the Atlantic Ocean, in the building of Canada.