Kilmainham Gaol & Museum
Kilmainham Gaol was built in 1792, it is Ireland’s most famous disused prison. It held throughout the years many famous Nationalists and Republicans in members of the Society of United Irishmen (1798), Young Irelanders (c1840s), Fenians and Land agitators, Parnell, Davitt. The leaders of the 1916 Ester Rising were executed here. The prison was closed in 1924. This building gives a good insight into the history of Irish Republicanism.
Attractions include a major exhibition detailing the political and penal history of Ireland, Kilmainham Gaol, and its restoration. The tour of the prison includes an audio-visual show.
April – September: Daily 09:30 – 18:00 (last admission at 17:00)
October – March: Mon -Sat 09:30 – 17:30 (last admission at 16:00),
Sunday: 10:00 – 18:00 (last admission at 17:00) Average Length of Visit: 1.5 hours
From The Anchor Guesthouse, use the Luas Tram from The Central Bus Station & get off at Heuston Train Station, stop 7 below, & walk from Heuston Train Station to Kilmainham Gaol & Museum. You may also use Dublin Bus #51B, 78A, or 79 from Burgh Quay (which is a short walk from The Anchor Guesthouse) to reach Kilmainham Gaol & Museum.