Family Genealogy & History
The Anchor House Bed & Breakfast is situated almost next door to the General Register Office, at “The Irish Life Centre”. It is our hope that our Bed & Breakfast might well suit your needs, while you trace your family tree in Dublin.
The General Register Office is a family history research facility located within “The Irish Life Centre”. The unit is specifically located at Block 7, 3rd Floor, Irish Life Centre, Lower Abbey Street, Dublin 1.
The Research facility is open Monday to Friday, (excluding public holidays) from 9.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. for the purpose of searching indexes to birth, death and marriage records and for obtaining photocopies of records identified from the indexes.
Indexes in relation to the following records of life events are available for inspection at the Research Facility:
- Births registered in the island of Ireland between 1st January, 1864 and December, 1921 inclusive, and in the island of Ireland (excluding the six north-eastern counties of Derry, Antrim, Down, Armagh, Fermanagh, and Tyrone known as Northern Ireland) from 1922 onwards.
- Deaths registered in the island of Ireland between 1st January, 1864 and 31st December, 1921 inclusive and in Ireland (excluding Northern Ireland) from 1922 onwards.
- Non-Roman Catholic Marriages registered in the island of Ireland between 1st April, 1845 and 31st December, 1863 inclusive.
- Marriages registered in the island of Ireland between 1st January, 1864 and 31st December, 1921 inclusive and in Ireland (excluding Northern Ireland) from 1922 onwards.
- Legal Domestic Adoptions registered in Ireland from 10th July, 1953 onwards.
Searches and Fees:
Two types of searches may be undertaken at the Research Facility’s Reading Room:
- A specific search covering a maximum of 5 years for a fee of €2.00
- A general search covering any number of years for a fee of €20.00 per day
A photocopy of an entry in the records (where the search has been carried our and the entry identified) can be purchased for €4.00.
Photocopies which cannot be provided immediately on request can be posted to applicants or may be collected by them at a later date.
All search fees must be paid in advance.
A former Anchor House Australian Guest provided us with a word file which he later prepared for us, to help those also in search of family roots. His list is quite comprehensive & we thank him so much for his attached work.
Click Genelogy List 2011 (2) to view & save his .doc file.