The Abbey Theatre in Dublin is located just around the corner from the Anchor House Dublin. We are ideally situated less than a 2 minute walk from the theatre, below is a map showing our location in relation to the theatre.
Address: 26 Lower Abbey Street
Telephone: +353 (0)1 87 87 222
The Abbey Theatre was founded in 1903 by W. B. Yeats and Lady Augusta Gregory. Its precursors were the Irish Literary Theatre and Frank and Willie Fay’s National Dramatic Society. With patronage from Miss Annie Horniman, premises were purchased on Old Abbey Street and on December 27th 1904, the Abbey Theatre opened its doors for the first time.
In 1925, the Abbey Theatre was given an annual subsidy by the new Free State, and the Abbey became the first ever state-subsidised theatre in the English speaking world. The State continues to support the Abbey Theatre in the form of an annual grant from the Arts Council of Ireland/An Chomhairle Ealaion
Directions from Anchor House Dublin to Abbey Theatre